WESTMEATH COUNTY COUNCIL
Municipal Districts of Athlone - Moate and Mullingar - Kinnegad
Town & Village Renewal - Streetscape Enhancement Measures 2021
Our Rural Future is the Government’s five-year strategy to revitalise rural Ireland and includes a commitment to upgrade and enhance shopfronts and street facades in our rural towns and villages. This scheme is funded by the Department of Rural & Community Development (DRCD) through this 2021 Streetscape Enhancement Measure. The focus of this measure is to support the upgrade and enhancement of shopfronts and street facades of defined areas within selected rural town/village centres.
Property owners/lessees in the following areas only are invited to apply for grant funding to carry out improvement works, under the DRCD scheme, to their commercial or residential properties within the speed limit areas of the following towns:
Moate, Castlepollard, Kilbeggan, Kinnegad, Rochfortbridge, and Killucan/Rathwire.
Westmeath County Council has also made funding available for business owners to improve the building facades of their properties. This scheme is open for applications from all local indigenous businesses/retail premises within the development envelope of all towns and villages in the county. The aim of this scheme is to enhance the streetscape environment of towns and villages throughout County Westmeath by encouraging and supporting owners of local retail and commercial premises to improve their individual shopfronts.
Works covered under both schemes include the following:
- Repair and reinstatement of all or any part of a shopfront fixture that is visible from the street.
- Reinstatement of architectural or historic features that have formed part of the buildings’ design and character.
- Repainting of shopfronts.
- Repair and reinstatement of guttering and down-pipes.
- Repainting and/or re-rendering of prominent elevations.
- Repair of external stonework and brickwork.
- Removal of neon signs, banners or other inappropriate signage affixed to front elevations or side elevations visible from the street.
- Permanent removal of external security shutters and installation of suitable replacements.
- Repair, replacement and new awnings or canopies.
- Green enhancement of entrances/ terraces with planting.
- Careful illumination and lighting of architectural features of buildings.
- Improvements to shopfront window displays and staging.
- Replacement of signage .
Application form, full details, terms and conditions are available on
For enquiries please email or phone 044 9332217.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00pm on Tuesday 7th September 2021.