Have your say – Shaping Our Electricity Future
Irish Rural Link are hosting a series of consultation workshops on EirGrid’s Shaping Our Electricity Future Strategy. A new report that details innovative approaches to developing the grid to meet ambitious 2030 renewable energy targets. It must redevelop the grid to manage 70% of Ireland’s electricity coming from renewable sources by 2030.
Shaping Our Electricity Future comprises four approaches to achieving this, as well as meeting the projected increase demand for electricity over the coming years.
1. Generation-Led: Government policy would influence where renewable energy is generated – favouring locations where the grid is already strong
2. Developer-Led: In this approach, we continue to connect new sources of renewable electricity as requested in any location
3. Technology-Led: This approach uses technical solutions to make the grid more resilient so it can better handle the variable nature of renewable energy
4. Demand-Led: Government policy determines where large energy users locate in Ireland
The workshop aims to get the thoughts of rural communities and individuals on the four draft approaches in order to reach the 2030 targets.
This is the first in a number of regional workshops and Irish Rural Link encourages individuals to attend the workshop designated for their region. If individuals are unavailable to participate in the workshop set for their region, please register for the region closest to them.”
Midlands Workshop Midlands Region 5th May – 7pm – 9pm – Register to attend https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIsfuqhqTktHNd4wDDwhRL8IYaO6QREWtm
People can find out more about the public consultation and how to have their say in Shaping Ireland’s Electricity Future by visiting consult.eirgrid.ie
Speakers will include;
- Mark Foley, CEO Eirgrid
- Brian O’Gallachoir, UCC
- Community Energy Speaker
- Chaired Seamus Boland, Irish Rural Link.
Please feel free to spread the word about this consultation and our workshop. All are welcome