I am inviting all Tidy Towns Groups in the county to get involved in a project to tackle the problem of disposable cups and therefore reduce litter, prevent waste, encourage reuse and do a project that fits into the “Sustainability – doing more with less” category. The project also supports National Spring Clean which runs for the month of April and where much of this roadside litter is unfortunately. By doing it on a county wide basis am aiming to get more participation and publicity and really make an impact so I hope you’ll consider it. As well as fitting in the category of the Tidy Towns competition (Sustainability – doing more with less) which has proven difficult in securing points in, it is also a fundraiser to support the work of the Tidy Towns Group as the groups get to keep the proceeds.
A brief outline of the manner in how the project works is as follows:
- Tidy Towns groups ask their local cafe/outlets selling takeaway coffee to sign up to the Conscious Cup Campaign (a supply of flyers will be printed and given to each Tidy Towns Group to give to the cafe/retailers - the leaflet (attached) outlines what signing up to the conscious cup campaign means for the retailer)
- When Tidy Towns groups know the number of cafes/retail outlets on board they are supplied with a stock of resuseable, branded cups – photo of sample cups on poster and below. (I supply these).
- The cafe/retail outlet stocks and sells the cups at a subsidised price of €7 and the Tidy Towns Group keep the proceeds towards their work.
- The customer receives a discount/loyalty stamp when they present their reuseable cup in the cafe/retail outlet.
- Photo calls will be arranged with participating Tidy Towns Groups and retailers and WCC will share on social media and via the local papers.
I’ve attached a copy of the poster explaining how it works together with a copy of the poster for the retailer.
Give me a call if you would like to discuss it further (am out this afternoon but back in the office in the morning).
044 93 32125
Westmeath County Council,
Áras an Chontae,
Tel: 044 9332125 Fax: 044 9342330